Yes you read it right. Jailbreak for iOS 8 is out already! And we have Team Pangu to thank for this awesome breakthrough. Though the software isn’t too friendly as it is in Chinese language but it is better than not having one at all. The software is currently available for Windows only. So the people who don’t have a windows machine will have to wait for a Mac version. If you don’t know how to read Chinese it is perfectly ok because we will guide you step by step on how to use this tool to jailbreak your iOS 8. And just to let you know this jailbreak works for all devices which can run iOS 8.
I have personally tried it on iPad 2. I got stuck on 6.1 and have been looking for a way to upgrade to iOS 7 but couldn’t. I was waiting for a jailbreak for iOS 8 and bam this Chinese team made my day.
Note: This jailbreak doesn’t install Cydia. You have to follow extra steps in order to get Cydia. But don’t worry we have got that covered for you too.
- Perform a fresh restore/update to iOS 8 or iOS 8.1. Make sure you have iTunes installed on the Windows PC through which you intend to jailbreak the iOS device.
- On your iOS device go to Settings > iCloud and sign out from iCloud. It will take a few minutes for it to do so.
- Next make sure your Passcode Lock is set to off. Settings > Passcode
- Download Pangu Tool from here.
- Once you have downloaded the software. Right click on the icon and run the program with administrator privileges.
- You don’t need to have iTunes open at this point. Now plugin your iOS device after the Pangu software is open. The software will detect your device and display its name at the top.
- Uncheck the checkbox and press the blue button underneath.
- After clicking the big blue button sit back and relax. This might take a while. It took my device approximately 8 minutes to jailbreak. While the software is jailbreaking your device the blue button with become grey (Disabled).
If you have followed the above steps, by now you should be having a jailbroken iOS device. Unfortunately this time around you need to follow some extra steps in order to get Cydia on your device.
- Open the Pangu application installed on your phone after the jailbreak.
- Install OpenSSH
- Download and install CyberDuck SFTP client (I used the Mac version)
- On your iOS device find the ip assigned to your device by your router. Settings > Wifi > i
- Launch CyberDuck. Press Open Connection to connect to your iOS device. Select SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) from the drop down menu. In the dialog box enter the ip of your iOS device.
- Once you connect you may get a prompt about unknown fingerprint. Just click Allow.
- Once connected drag the Cydia files into the root folder. Download Cydia files here.
- In CyberDuck press Go > Send Command and paste the following command:
dpkg --install cydia-lproj_1.1.12_iphoneos-arm.deb cydia_1.1.13_iphoneos-arm.deb
- After this once again press Go > Send Command and paste the following command: